Chinese Zero to Hero
【FULL】The Little Nyonya EP01 | 小娘惹 | iQIYI

Channel: iQIYI 爱奇艺
早年华人从中国南方
[In the early years, Chinese migrates from Southern China...]
飘洋过海来到南洋一带
[and settled in at the Malay Peninsula.]
落地生根
和当地土著女子结婚
[They married local women...]
繁衍后代
[and gave birth.]
他们的文化受到马来人
[Their culture was affected by Malays,]
印度人
[Indians,]
欧洲人的影响
[and Westerners.]
形成独具一格的土生华人文化
[Hence forming an unique Peranakan Chinese culture.]
他们的后裔
[Their descendants were called...]
男性称为峇峇
[Baba for males,]
女性称为娘惹
[and Nyonya for females.]
我现在要说的
[The story I'm telling now is about a Nyonya.]
就是一个娘惹的故事
那也是我家族的故事
[It's also my famitly history.]
最先浮现在我脑海里的
[The first that came into my mind...]
是我祖母说过的一句话
[was a phrase my Grandmother used to say.]
如果你不了解你的过去
[If you don't know your past,]
就像树叶不知道自己是树的一部分
[you're like a leaf that doesn't know it's part of a tree.]
这故事得从我外曾祖母说起
[The story begins with my Great-Grandmother.] [Malacca] [The story begins with my Great-Grandmother.] [Malacca]
我的外曾祖母姓黄
[My Great-Grandmother's surname is Huang.]
出生在马六甲
[She was born in Malacca.]
头家娘交代的东西都准备好了吗
Is everything requested by Towkay Neo prepared?
吵什么吵
What are you fussing about?
大姑还没到吗
Tua Kor (Aunt) is not here yet?
头家娘 今天神庙大会
Towkay Neo, the temple is having a festival today.
大姑的汽车被庙会的人群堵住了
Tua Kor's car was blocked by the participants.
耽搁了一会 马上就到
She'll be here in a moment.
黄家是马六甲
[The Huang Family was a renowned Peranakan family in Malacca.]
最有名望的峇峇娘惹家族
大姑是男主人黄元的姐姐
[Tua Kor was Huang Yuan, the Master's elder sister.]
早年嫁到了新加坡
[She was married to Singapore.]
膝下无儿 育有二女
[She has no son but two daughters.]
大姐
Sister!
弟妹呀
Sister-in-law!
大姐
Sister!
阿弟呀
Brother!
大姐一路辛苦了
It's hard on you along the way.
下车吧
Come on.
王管家
Steward Wang!
Hurry!
这方法好啊
This is great! [Auspicious, Huang]
姐姐 这样好可爱呀
It's so cute like this, Sister!
像一个小房子一样
Like a miniature house!
对呀
Yes!
还不叫人
Hurry and address your elders.
舅舅 舅母
Uncle, Aunt.
舅舅 舅母
Uncle, Aunt.
大姑
Tua Kor.
美玉乖
Good girl, Mei Yu.
请大姑到祠堂上香
To the ancestral hall, Tua Kor. Please.
好好好
Alright, alright.
峇峇和娘惹的生活习俗 语言
[The Peranakan's lifestyle and language...]
虽然受西方 马来文化影响
[may have been influenced by Western and Malay cultures.]
但依然承袭了华人传统文化
[But they've adapted the traditional Chinese cultures too.]
尤其是在祭拜祖先和婚礼方面
[Especially in ancestral worshipping and weddings.]
传统的土生华人家庭
[Traditional Peranakan families have their own ancestral halls...] [Requite][Ancestral Hall] [Traditional Peranakan families have their own ancestral halls...]
都有祠堂
[Traditional Peranakan families have their own ancestral halls...]
供奉祖先牌位
[which holds their ancestors' tablet.]
逢年过节
[During festivals, when descendants return from abroad...]
子孙远游归来
出嫁的女儿回娘家
[and married daughters return home,]
都要行祭祖礼
[there will be a praying ceremony.]
大姐啊
Sister.
这几年不见
After so many years not meeting up,
秀凤和秀娟
I almost couldn't...
我都快认不出她们了
recognise Xiu Feng and Xiu Juan.
真是越大越漂亮了
They are getting really beautiful.
漂亮有什么用啊
What's the use of being beautiful?
整天乱蹦乱跳的
They run around and about all day.
一点大家闺秀的样子都没有
Nothing like a well-taught lady.
都怪她们的爸爸
Their father was to blame of it.
非把她们送去学堂
He insisted to send them to school.
女孩子读什么书啊
Why should a girl know how to read?
读的还是洋书呢
They read Western books too.
在咱们马来亚 洋人最大
Westerners are the boss here in Malaya.
谁不得看洋人的脸色
We have to obey them.
就因为咱们会讲洋话
Just because we knew how to speak and write in English...
会写洋文
才被叫做皇家华人
that we're called "Royal Chinese".
女人读再多的书啊
No matter how much books they read,
最后还不是嫁人生孩子呀
they'll have to get married and bear children.
大姐说得对呀
Exactly, Sister.
女人最重要还是把家顾好
Taking care of a household is a woman's priority.
你们听到没有
You two hear that?
听到了
Yes.
听到了
Yes.
都是娘惹装啊
These are all Kebayas.
你这满橱子的老古董
A whole cabinet of ancient things.
我还以为自己在博物馆里头呢
I thought I was in a museum.
我妈可不让我穿洋装
My mother does not allow me to wear dresses.
舅母真是的
What's with Aunt?
自己老古董也就算了
It's okay that she's ancient.
还让她女儿和她一样
And she's turning you into her.
秀娟 不准你这样说舅母
Don't speak of Aunt like that, Xiu Juan.
美玉姐
Sister Yu.
你的身材和我差不多
Your figures are like mine.
我找一件我的洋装给你穿
I'll let you wear my dress.
不行
No way.
如果被我妈知道的话
My mother will beat me to death if she knows.
肯定会打死我的
我给你看一下
Let me show you.
洋人们都是怎么穿的
This is how Westerners dress.
你看
See?
这房子这么大
This house is so big.
比我的头家在新加坡的房子
Bigger than my Towkay's house in Singapore.
大得多
你在这里很久了
How long have you been here?
算算也有二十五年了
Almost 25 years from my count.
二十五年了
25 years?
那你是这儿的老佣人了
Thn you must be an old servant.
头家娘得给你多少工钱
How much does Towkay Neo pay you?
我没有工钱
I'm not paid.
没有工钱
Not paid?
你是不是签了卖身契了
Did you sign yourself away?
我听说
I heard that some were sold by their parents.
有些人是被父母卖断的
打的是死工
They have to work permanently without a pay forever.
一辈子都没工钱拿
二太太
Second Mistress.
今晚你要亲自煮晚餐吗
Are you cooking tonight?
大姑要吃娘惹面
Tua Kor wants to eat Nyonya noodles.
我先要熬一锅肉骨和鸡骨的汤底
I'll need to boil a pot of meat bone and chicken bone broth.
一会儿去买一些新鲜的虾回来
Go and buy some fresh prawns later.
是 二太太
Yes, Second Mistress.
乖乖隆地咚 阿桃真该打
Oh, my gosh! I should be punished! Oh, my gosh! I should be punished!
乖乖隆地咚 阿桃真该打
乖乖隆地咚 阿桃真该打
Oh, my gosh! I should!
阿桃 你怎么了
What's wrong, Tao?
对不起啊 太太
I'm sorry, Mistress.
我把你当成下人了
I thought you're a maid!
对不起
臭嘴 衰嘴 好了
-My bad! Bad mouth! -It's alright.
臭嘴 好了 阿桃
-Bad mouth! -It's okay, Tao.
你不要再打了
Stop hitting yourself.
你再打下去
You'll become an ang ku kueh if you keep hitting yourself.
你要变成红龟粿了
对不起啊 二太太
I'm sorry, Second Mistress.
不要生我的气
Don't be mad at me.
我妈说
My mother says unmarried Nyonyas must not leave their houses.
没出嫁的娘惹是应该足不出户的
只能像我这样偷偷地看
I can only peep at the outside world like this.
像你这样偷偷地看
Why should you peep so secretly? What are you looking at?
你看什么呀
当然是看男人喽
Guys, of course.
你们快看 你们快看
Hurry and take a look!
他好英俊啊
He's so handsome!
她在说什么
What's she saying?
她在说
She's saying that guy is very handsome.
有一个英俊潇洒的男人
太帅了
Too handsome.
红公狮 白目眉
Red lion with white eyebrows!
无人请 自己来
Uninvited gate-crasher!
红公狮 白目眉
Red lion with white eyebrows!
吓死我了 死傻子
That stupid idiot scared me to death!
我想到一个主意
I've got an idea!
什么啊
What?
不好 这样不好吧
Ju Xiang? That's not a good idea.
菊香啊
Ju Xiang.
我要陪大姑她们打娘惹牌
I'll be playing nyonya cards with Tua Kor and the others.
你来准备晚餐吧
You'll prepare dinner.
二太太
Second Mistress.
头家娘让我问你好了没
Towkay Neo asks if you're done.
来了 来了
I'm coming.
我去了啊
I'm going.
那个小女佣长得可真好看
That little maid is so pretty.
她是我女儿 叫菊香
She's my daughter, Ju Xiang.
那她就是小姐了
Then she's a miss.
二太太 对不起啊
I'm sorry, Second Mistress.
我先是把你当成老佣人
I thought you were an old maid.
又把你的女儿当成小佣人
Then your daughter a little maid.
你千万不要向我的头家娘告状啊
Please don't complain to my Towkay Neo.
不会
I won't.
要不然 你看
If not... Look.
疼吗
Does it hurt?
真可怜 走吧
Poor thing. Let's go.
二太太 你不要生我气
Please don't be mad, Second Mistress.
那个大傻子要是突然看见
If that idiot saw such an ugly girl,
一个丑八怪冒出来
不吓死他才怪呢
he might scare himself to death.
我们是不是应该
Should we make her more uglier?
把她弄得更丑才行呀
秀娟 别太过分了
Don't go overboard, Xiu Juan.
我妈说了
My mother told me.
她妈是一个勾引主人的下人
Her mother seduced her master.
对待下人的女儿
Should we be courteous to a servant's daughter?
还用跟她客气吗
这是干什么的 小点声
-What's this for? -Tone down.
没事
It's okay.
反正她又聋又哑什么都听不见
She's deaf-mute.
走 走
Let's go.
你们
You girls...
你紧张什么
Why are you so nervous?
不就是小孩子闹着玩吗
The children are just playing with her.
快点出牌
Hurry and discard!
等你出一张牌鸡都下蛋了
We're waiting for you.
赢了
I win.
哪有人这样打牌的
Nobody plays like that.
红公狮
Red lion...
好吃
Delicious!
好吃
Delicious!
我要吃
I want to eat!
给我吃
Give me food!
快看快看
Hurry and see!
有热闹看了
Something's going on!
傻子又发疯了
The idiot went berserk!
是啊
Yes!
怎么办 傻子发疯了 要掐死人呀
What to do? He went berserk! He'll kill her!
快走快走
Let's get out of here!
我不会让你跑的
I won't let you get away!
笑死人了
What a laughing stock!
给我吃
Let me eat!
我要吃
I want to eat!
我要吃
I want to eat!
放手
Let go!
放手
Let go!
我让你跑
Don't run!
我要吃
让开 让开
- I want to eat! - Move! Move!
给我吃
Let me eat!
来来来 油条来了
Take these dough sticks!
来 给 给
Here you go!
姑娘 你没事吧
Are you alright, Miss?
我带你去洗
I'll help you wash up.
你干什么呢
What are you doing?
I...
流氓 坏蛋
You scoundrel! Badass!
我没有恶意的
I meant her no harm! Ask her!
你不相信问她
问什么问 贼眉鼠眼
Why should I? You look shifty-eyed!
一看就不是好东西
And that's a bad guy's look!
你还看
Stop staring!
信不信把你眼珠子挖出来
I'll gourge your eyes out!
菊香小姐 你没事吧
Are you alright, Miss Ju Xiang?
菊香小姐
Miss Ju Xiang?
菊香小姐
Miss Ju Xiang?
菊香小姐 你
Miss Ju Xiang, you...
我怎么忘了 你又聋又哑
How can I forget you're deaf-mute?
你知道我在说什么
You understand me?
你能看懂嘴型
You can lip-read?
慢慢说
Speak slowly?
你没事吧
Are you alright?
那个臭男人他有没有动你啊
Did he touch you?
他要是敢动你
If he dares to,
我就把他 把他当成鸡
I'll chop his head off...
给宰了
like a chicken!
这是什么呀
What is this?
我妈说
My mother says,
以前的娘惹都是足不出户的
Nyonyas are not allowed to leave their houses.
要是逼不得已要出门的话
If she has to,
就得坐在这块布上
she'll have to sit on this cloth...
然后包得严严实实的
and be carried out...
由人抬着出去
with covers on.
就像坐在摇篮里一样吗
Like sitting in a cradle?
我也不知道
I don't know.
那我们试一试
Let's have a try!
好好玩啊 美玉姐
It's fun, Sister Yu!
看把你美的
Look how happy you are.
快点 快点
Hurry up! Hurry up!
快点
停停停
Stop, stop, stop!
姐 快点给我盖上
Cover me up, Sister!
快快快 快
-Okay. -Hurry, hurry!
一 二 三
One, two, three!
你们小心点 别摔了
Be careful and don't fall!
Brother!
少爷
Young Master.
金城哥
Brother Cheng.
你们好
Hello.
这里面是谁啊
Who's in here?
我看看
Let me see.
不能看
No, you can't.
这里面是个足不出户的娘惹
A Nyonya is in here.
你要是看了 就得娶她
You'll have to marry her if you looked at her.
那我还是别看了
Then I shouldn't.
万一是个丑八怪
If she's ugly,
那我就引火烧身了
I'll burn my finger for playing with fire.
我不是丑八怪
I'm not ugly.
你才是丑八怪
You're ugly.
原来是个像天使一样的美女啊
So it's an angelic beauty.
能遇见一位如此美丽的佳人
It's my pleasure and honour to meet a beautiful woman...
真是我的荣幸
like yourself.
好漂亮啊
So beautiful.
美玉
You have deft hands, Mei Yu.
你的手真巧
美玉姐
Stop beading, Sister Yu!
别绣了
快快快 来
Hurry and come! Come, Sister!
姐 快
Quick!
来啊
Come on!
什么呀
What is it?
偷看别人跳舞
It's not a proper behaviour...
不是淑女应有的行为吧
for young ladies to peep at others.
哥 你说什么呢
What are you saying, Brother?
你哥说我们不够淑女
Your brother is saying we're not ladylike.
你愿意与我共舞吗
Would you care to dance?
I...
姐 你跟他斗一斗
Take up his challenge, Sister.
我不行
I can't.
你不是学过吗
Didn't you learn how to dance?
我都忘了
I've forgotten how.
我来
I'll do it.
我哥好像被秀娟妹吸引住了
My brother seems to be attracted by Xiu Juan.
娘惹菜是南洋的美食
[Peranakan cuisines are renowned delicacies in Nanyang.]
结合了中国南方
[It combines the essences of Southern China and Malay food.]
和马来食物的精华
还融合了印度 印尼 泰国
[It also consists of Indian, Indonesian, Thai,]
荷兰和英国佳肴的特色
[Netherlands and England's characteristics.]
它非常讲究调料和佐料
[It's exquisite with its use of seasonings and spices.]
所以得花费更多的时间
[So more time and energy are required to prepare the dishes.]
和精力去准备
每个娘惹
[Every Nyonya has a good teacher,]
都有个好师父
那就是自己的母亲
[which is their mother.]
一个好媳妇 必须是个好厨子
[A good daughter-in-law must be a good cook.]
所以
[So every Nyonya mother...]
每个娘惹母亲
都会倾尽全力教导女儿
[will give their best to teach their daughter...]
以确保女儿有个好归宿
[to ensure them with a good marriage.]
好香啊
Smells great.
这娘惹面真好 闻着都开胃
This Nyonya laksa smells appetizing!
菊香啊
Ju Xiang.
这都是你做的吗
Did you make this?
大姑姐 菊香说
Tua Kor, Ju Xiang says...
娘惹面要趁热吃
the noodles must be eaten while it's still hot.
好 好
Alright, alright.
天兰 你也坐下一起吃吧
Tian Lan, come and join us.
不 不用
No.
你们吃 我去厨房看一下
You all go ahead. I must check in on the kitchen.
让菊香去吧
Let Ju Xiang do it.
坐下 吃
Sit down and eat with us.
I...
大姐 吃
Eat, Sister.
Sure.
大姑 爸 妈
Aunt, Father, Mother. Do eat.
舅舅 舅母
Uncle, Aunt,
妈 兰姨
Mother, Aunt Lan.
Do eat.
大家吃吧
Let's eat.
就是这味道
This is it!
我小时候第一次学做菜
The first dish I learnt was Nyonya laksa.
就是娘惹面
这面看起来好像很容易
This bowl of noodles seems easy to make.
可是考功夫得很
But it needs a lot of work.
要熬鸡汤 猪骨汤
You have to boil chicken and meat bone broths.
还要熬虾汤
Prawns too.
这面条啊
If the noodles are undercooked,
炒得不够火
又干又硬 又不入味
it'll be dry and hard, flavourless too.
那炒得过头呢
If it's overcooked,
就烂乎乎 难以入口了
it'll be mushy and awful.
今天这面哪 炒得刚刚好
The noodles today are nicely done.
你们两个啊
All the better if you two...
要是有菊香一半的厨艺就好了
are half as capable as Ju Xiang.
大姐
Sister.
这都是按照你的口味做的娘惹菜
These Nyonya dishes are cooked based on your preference.
你多吃点
Do eat more.
Sure.
姐夫什么时候回来啊
When will Brother-in-law be back?
哪知道啊
How will I know?
从伦敦坐船回来
Who knows how long it'll take...
不知哪年哪月能到呦
for his ship to arrive from London?
大姑 你就放心吧
Don't worry, Aunt.
现在的轮船开得很快的
Ships sail very fast these days.
你很快就能见到你的达令了
You'll be seeing your darling soon.
总是这么没正形
How improper!
哥 达令是什么意思
Brother, what does darling mean?
达令啊
Darling means sweetheart.
就是甜心宝贝的意思
不过我还是很不放心
But I'm quite worried.
现在的时局那么乱
Given the state of the situation now,
听说啊
so many war ships come and go.
很多战舰在海上来来往往的
我真怕啊
I'm scared if...
炮火不长眼睛
one of their torpedoes misfired...
没事的
Don't worry. The Japanese may have attacked the Chinese,
那些日本兵也就跟中国人
打打仗罢了
他们没那么大胆子去惹英国人
they won't do anything to the British.
放心吧
It'll be fine.
可不是嘛
That's right.
姑父那船可是挂着米字旗的
Uncle's ship is sailing under the Union Jack.
谁会去自找麻烦啊
They wouldn't dare court trouble.
我呀 刚从新加坡回来
I just came back from Singapore.
那里的学生在搞什么运动
The students there are up in arms...
让人们捐钱抗日救国
to ask the people for donations for China.
很多的华人和商家啊
A lot of Chinese and merchants donated.
都捐了钱了
我呢
Me?
我是一概不理
I made no concern about it.
我们四代人都住在这里
Our family has been here for four generations.
中国人跟日本人打仗
It's none of our concern that...
跟我们有什么关系
Japan and China are at war.
可不是
You're right.
你姐夫说啊
Your brother-in-law says the British want us to be loyal to the Queen.
英国人要我们效忠的是英女皇
我们跟那些新客不一样
We're different from the new immigrants.
我们哪
We are "Royal Chinese".
可是皇家华人哪
我脚下怎么毛毛的
Something tickled my leg!
一定是我们家的猫
It must be our cat. [Auspicious, Huang]
转眼啊
Time flies.
我家秀凤就到了找婆家的年纪了
Xiu Feng is of marriageable age now.
你姐夫去英国之前交代过
Your brother-in-law told me before he left to England...
一定要她在今年内把婚事给定了
to marry her off within the year.
那正好啊
That's great.
大姐 我们亲上加亲好不好
Why don't we make it between our families?
我也正有此意
My sentiments exactly.
可是啊
But...
我知道自己的两个女儿
I know my two daughters...
不是合格的娘惹
are not qualified nyonyas.
我怎么敢厚着脸皮向你们提呢
How can I allow myself to ask you of this?
秀凤和秀娟知书达礼
Xiu Feng and Xiu Juan are well-mannered.
都是姐夫和大姐教导有方
You and Brother-in-law taught them well.
我还怕金城高攀不上呢
I worry that Jin Cheng couldn't make the catch.
怎么会呢
How can it be?
金城叫我大姑
Jin Cheng calls me his aunt.
秀凤能嫁给他
If Xiu Feng can marry him,
我就最开心不过了
I'll be utmostly happy.
谁叫你用两片栳叶的
Who asked you to take two sirih leaves?
七早八早你就想睡觉了
Are you sleepy in the early morning?
不是啊 头家娘
No, Towkay Neo.
我是听见大小姐要结婚
The news of Miss Xiu Feng getting married...
我又紧张又开心啊
makes me nervous and happy.
你紧张什么
Why are you nervous?
你也想嫁啊
Do you want to get married?
乖乖隆地咚
Oh, my gosh!
头家娘
Towkay Neo, I've taken a vow of celibacy...
我阿桃可是在神灵前发过誓
梳起不嫁的
in front of the gods.
放手啊
Let go!
被别人看见就不好了
People might see us.
我才不管呢
I don't care.
我爱你
I love you.
Okay.
你啊 为什么只是又聋又哑
Why are you a mere deaf-mute?
应该连眼睛都给我瞎了
You should be blind as well.
敢说出去就把你扔下去做水鬼
Be prepared to get drowned if you tell us off!
这次先饶了你 你给我老实点
I'll spare you for now, don't do anything foolish!
你跑什么啊
Why did you run?
吓到你了吗
Did we scare you?
我跟他是真心相爱
We're truly in love with each other.
才不像你那个不要脸的妈
Not like your slut of a mother...
跑去勾引主人
who seduced her master...
才会生下你这个
to give birth to you, a deaf-mute freak.
又聋又哑的怪物
你跟她费什么口舌
Why say so much to her?
反正她又听不见
She can't hear you.
就是因为她听不见
That's why I can scold her as much as I like.
我才骂得这么痛快啊
你干什么
What are you doing?
你放手啊
Let go!
你放手
Let go! Let go!
放手
放手啊
Let go!
好 好
Okay, okay!
从今以后
She'll never insult your mother ever again!
她都不会再这样讲你妈妈了
你快放手啊
Hurry and let go!
没事吧
Are you okay?
我不说了 以后都不说了
I won't insult her again! I won't!
咱们走吧
Let's go! Hurry!
别再惹她了
Stop agitating her.
神经病
神经病
Lunatic! Lunatic!
惨了
It's terrible!
快要被打死了
Almost beaten to death! Almost beaten to death!
快要被
-Almost... -What is it?
怎么了
是阿桃
It's Tao! She broke Tua Kor's bowl.
她打碎了大姑带来的碗
不要
Don't!
不要打了
Please stop!
不要啊
Don't!
不要
Don't!
不要
Don't!
You...
你放手
Let go!
走开
Move!
不要 不要啊
Don't! Please don't!
我今天就放过你
I'll let you off this time!
那只碗三十块
That bowl is worth 30 dollars.
你给我赔
Compensate it!
谢谢你 谢谢你
Thank you! Thank you!
谢谢你
Thank you!
阿桃啊 别哭啦
Don't cry, Tao.
做人啊
People...
哪有不委屈的
will have to bow down sometimes.
二太太
Second Mistress! Second Mistress!
二太太
阿桃 起来
Get up, Tao!
二太太
快起来啊
-Second Mistress! -Stand up now!
二太太
头家娘 是铁了心不要我了
Towkay Neo don't want me anymore.
所以才动不动就挑我毛病
That's why she's picking on me.
二太太
Second Mistress,
把我留下来吧
please take me in.
我借了很多钱才过番来
I borrowed a lot of money to come over.
如果我没有地方做工的话
If I don't have a job,
老家的一家老小就要饿死了
my family will starve to death.
我求求你了 我求求你了
Please, Second Mistress! Please!
二太太
你别拉我呀
No point tugging me!
快把阿桃扶起来
Hurry and help her up!
我求求你了
Please take me in!
把我留下来吧
快起来吧
Stand up.
别哭了啊
Stop crying.
谢谢二太太
Thank you, Second Mistress!
谢谢二太太
Thank you!
谢谢
Thank you!
这次来啊
You must stay for a while longer this time.
你一定要多住些日子
大姑姐
Tua Kor.
大姐
Sister.
我准备了一些甜点
I prepared some desserts.
你们尝尝
Have a taste.
是你爱吃的椰丝糯米糕
It's your favourite pulut inti.
这一定很好吃
I'm sure it tastes great.
大姐
Have a taste first, Sister.
你先尝一尝
尝了再说好也不迟啊
You can pay your compliments later.
天兰哪
Tian Lan.
你的厨艺越来越好
You're getting better and better at it.
这都是我家大姐教得好
I learn it from Sister.
大姐
Sister.
你也尝尝
Please taste it.
放这儿吧
Leave it.
I...
你有什么事啊
You have something to say?
大姐
Sister.
先生过两天要办长桌宴
Sir will be holding tok panjang in a few days.
阿莲走了以后
After Lian left,
厨房就不够人手了
the kitchen has been shorthanded.
那好啊
Great!
我把阿桃留给你们用
You can have Tao then.
反正我家里又不缺人手
I don't need another pair of hands at home anyway.
谢谢大姑姐
Thank you, Tua Kor.
不过
But she has to pay me 30 dollars.
她得赔我三十块钱啊
不行的
No, Miss Ju Xiang. I can't take your money.
菊香小姐 我不能拿你的钱
我只不过是打破了她一个碗
I merely broke her bowl...
她就让我赔三十块钱
and she wants 30 dollars for it.
我去跟她拼了
I'll confront her!
不行
菊香小姐
No way, Miss Ju Xiang.
菊香小姐
Miss Ju Xiang.
你是个主人
You're a master.
我就是个下人
I'm just a servant.
你却对我这么好
Yet you're so nice to me.
老天爷一定会保佑你的
Heaven will watch over you.
让你嫁给一个
He'll marry you off...
又有钱
to a wealthy,
又英俊
handsome man...
又爱你的男人
who loves you wholeheartedly.
把我的钥匙给我吧
Give me my keys.
Here.
老板
Boss!
救命啊
Help!
别打了
Stop beating!
别打了
Stop beating!
救命啊 别打了
Help! Stop beating!
别打了
Stop beating!
救命啊
别打了 别打了
Help! Stop beating! Stop beating!
饶了我吧
Please spare me!
别敲了 别敲了
Stop knocking! Stop knocking!
别敲了
Stop knocking!
干什么啊你
What's the matter with you?
对不起啊
I'm sorry, but I heard...
我听到里面
没事 没事
It's alright.
我买了个女人
I bought a woman,
还没没调教过呢
and she's not well taught.
所以啊
So I let her shout herself out.
由她抢天呼地的
吵着你了
It seems to bother you.
这样吧
How about this?
我把她的嘴封起来就没有声音了
I'll gag her up so that she'll be quiet.
这年月啊
These days,
谁手里有大片橡胶园的
those who own rubber estates are down in luck.
准倒霉
当时啊
Back then...
我把手里的橡胶园都转手时
when I sold all of my rubber estates,
那个黄元啊
That Huang Yuan...
他还大片大片地买进
was buying them in one by one.
难怪他现在
That's why he's in pain now.
叫苦连天了
张老板
Mister Zhang.
我这里有一张照片
I have a photo here.
你看看
Have a look.
好漂亮的小娘惹啊
What a beautiful little nyonya.
漂亮
Beautiful.
我真的不明白
I don't understand.
为什么你们吃的东西啊
Why do you people eat...
又辣
such spicy...
又呛
and pungent food.
好辣啊
It's so hot!
菊香小姐
Miss Ju Xiang.
我是不是很笨哪
Am I stupid?
你不要安慰我了
Don't try to comfort me.
我知道
I know spices are crucial in nyonya cuisines.
娘惹菜最重要的就是香料
可是
But I can't even pound them correctly.
我怎么舂都舂不好
乖乖隆地咚
Oh, my gosh!
你一舂 香料就乖乖听你的
Why do they stay in your bowl when you pound them?
我一舂就乱飞乱喷的
And they fly all over the place when I pound them?
我知道了
I know!
原来舂香料啊
I have to do it rhythmically!
要有节奏
不能像我刚才那样乱舂一通
I can't do it rashfully! [Long's Western Merchandise]
木村君
Kimura-san!
木村君
Kimura-san!
我们说当地话
We'll speak locally.
Okay.
最近南洋华侨的反日情绪高涨了
The anti-Japanese sentiment of Chinese immigrants are high.
我们都要小心点
We have to be careful.
是啊
Yes, it's worrying.
真的让人忧心啊
你来马六甲是
The reason you're here in Malacca is?
我来购买一些摄影器材
I'm here to buy photographing equipments.
我听说海外的日侨
I heard some Japanese overseas have received conscription orders.
都陆续接到了征兵令
你要有心理准备
You must be mentally prepared.
走一步看一步吧
Let's take step by step.
你这趟有什么收获
What did you get in the trip?
收获丰富啊
Quite a lot.
原来你对峇峇和娘惹文化
So you're interested in Peranakan culture.
也有兴趣
正好
-Yes. -Great.
我这趟来马六甲
I'm here in Malacca...
就是为了出席有钱峇峇的长桌宴
to attend a tok panjang held by a local rich Peranakan family.
长桌宴
Tok panjang?
就是长桌宴
It's the long-table banquet.
峇峇娘惹家庭隆重请客才会摆长桌宴
The Peranakans held long-table banquets for prestigious guests.
今晚你跟我一起出席
Come along with me tonight.
亲眼看看他们有钱峇峇的气派
See how impressive they are in style.
谢谢
Arigato!
起来了
Wake up, Xiu Juan.
秀娟
都几点了还睡
It's not the time for sleeping.
我们要下去拜祖先了 快点
We have to pray to the ancestors! Hurry!
那是黄家的祖先
That's the Huang family's ancestors.
关我们什么事啊
Why should we care?
你怎么这样说啊
How can you say that?
妈是黄家的女儿
Mother is from the Huang family.
如果没有妈 怎么会有我们呢
How will we exist without her?
可我听说
But I heard...
妈是黄家的养女
she's only a foster child of the family.
你怎么敢这样说啊
How dare you say that?
如果让妈听见 肯定打你屁股
Mother will spank you if she hears you.
烦死了
So frustrating!
拜祖先 拜祖先
Praying to the ancestors?
这人都死了有什么好拜的呀
Why pray to them now that they're dead?
我们为什么
就不能学学人家洋人呢
Why can't we learn from the Westerners?
你还在这儿啰嗦
Still babbling around.
你快点啊
Hurry up!
你就跟他们说
Just tell them...
我肚子痛
I have a stomachache.
Mother.
你妹呢
Where's your sister?
她呀
Her?
她还在睡觉呢
She's still sleeping.
这成何体统啊
How indecent!
什么时候了还在睡觉
How can she be asleep at this hour?
大姐
Sister.
是谁把你气成这样
Who made you angry?
没事 没事
It's nothing.
秀凤啊
Xiu Feng.
你喜欢我家金城吗
Do you like Jin Cheng?
I...
不喜欢哪
You don't like him?
舅母
Aunt.
那就没办法了
Then I have no choice.
我喜欢的
I like him!